The ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICE AIDE/CLEANER performs general and specific duties in assigned areas in accordance with Housekeeping Department standards of practice, policies and procedures.
The principal responsibilities include:
- Removing recyclables and garbage/waste from multiple locations
- Various cleaning duties including vacuuming, sweeping, dusting, disinfecting, and washing of specific areas
- Cleaning and maintaining patient rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, offices, etc
- Performing floor care
- Within scope of authority, moving furniture and other times as required
- Cleaning, disinfecting and maintaining Operating Rooms (O.R.) according to O.R. standards
- Cleaning and maintaining elevators and stairs
- Maintaining supplies and equipment; replenishing supplies in washrooms, receiving and checking cleaning supplies, cleaning and tidying utility room
- Attending staff meetings as required
- Participating and assisting in training of new personnel in all required job functions
- Attending required education and safety training
- Disinfecting complete bed unit
- Performing other duties in support of the Housekeeping function; performing cross-functional and other duties as assigned and/or required
- At minimum completion of high school or recognized equivalent
- 3 months to less than 6 months practical and related experience and/or 3 months to less than 6months on the job training
- Ability to use tools and equipment common to the work being performed including: vacuum, dry mop, squeegee, space sweeper, etc.
- Knowledge of Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (W.H.M.I.S.).
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and other relevant legislation.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job including: standing, sweeping, pushing/pulling carts, walking on uneven surfaces, reaching forward, reaching above and below the shoulders, able to lift 11 kg to 20 kg
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently to understand verbal work orders and/or instructions.
- Ability to understand material such as short notes, brief forms and/or instructions.
- Ability to do simple mathematical calculations (e.g. adding, subtracting, etc.).
- Compliance with Body Substance Precautions provisions.
- Compliance with sanitary and infection control requirements.
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance to UHN standards.
- Exercise initiative and good judgment with ability to multi-task.
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Knowledge of UHN and/or departmental policies.
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
- May be required to work at multiple areas as well as rotating shifts in emergency situations
- For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN IS A RESPECTFUL, CARING, AND INCLUSIVE WORKPLACE. WE ARE COMMITTED TO CHAMPIONING ACCESSIBILITY, DIVERSITY AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY. REQUESTS FOR ACCOMMODATION CAN BE MADE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS PROVIDING THE APPLICANT HAS MET THE BONA-FIDE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE OPEN POSITION. APPLICANTS NEED TO MAKE THEIR REQUIREMENTS KNOWN WHEN CONTACTED